Thursday, November 29, 2007

Andrew's 5th update 11/27/07

Hey everybody! This has been quite the rollercoaster. I'm laying down in a bed next to Jen's and she's sleeping soundly. It's so quiet and calm. This is the most I think I've seen her rest undisturbed for a week. I think she's past the worst of it, but I know tomorrow that if she wants to see Elliott and Aaron, she will have to work through a pretty painful move down a floor. Keep her in your prayers, as she wants nothing more! :)

As for Elliott, he's receiving warm humidified air through a small mask just to his nose, but no oxygen is needed. It's all forced room air. He may be going down to a smaller breathing aid soon that is just a tube with nasal leads. When this happens, he will be most likely moved to intermediate neonatal intensive care, which is where his brother Aaron was moved today.

Aaron is on no source of forced air except for the controlled climate of his incubator, which we are able to open whenever we want ... to give him some gentle attention. His only problem of concern was that he has forgotten to breathe a couple of times tonight, once when I was standing at his side. The nurse simply comes over and jiggles him a little and he goes back to breathing as normal. She alerted a doctor shortly after the second time, and they are adding a small dose of caffeine to his supplements to help remedy it. This should only be needed for the first few days as his lungs finish forming and getting used to all this.

I know I should be sleeping right now, but you all are so important, and I can't possibly keep up with calling and texting everyone like I should. I can only say that I've never felt more welcome in our new home of Peoria and look forward to showing these guys off to all of you....as soon as we track down the missing camera cable we need to pull pics to the web!

No comments: