Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Elliott and Aaron are 0!!!

First of all I want to bring you attention to the last part of my last blog. I made so many spelling errors!!! I guess blogging that early with little sleep does not make me seem very smart =)

The day finally came. Today was my original due date. That makes Elliott and Aaron 0. This is so exciting I guess. They only woke up once to eat during the night. I think we are supposed to still wake them up to eat but we really don't want to. They don't seem extra hungry, and I think its important for them to sleep. I wish we had a baby scale. I want to know how long they are and how much they weigh on this momentous day. Also how big their heads are. I know I can measure them here but the doctor and a baby scale would be more accurate. I guess that starting today I can begin to count down to when they will meet all their milestones. I think that they are ahead of their adjusted age and will meet their milestones when they are at their actual age. Elliott wants to talk really super bad and both are amazing and being able to move their heads around...they will be holding their heads up before we know it. I am excited for them to smile socially. Julie (my oldest sister...she is really old too =) thinks that they will be smiling socially in the next two weeks. She is so very old and wise so I am sure she is right. They are really staying awake more. They look around with these ginormous blue eyes. Its really sweet. Unfortunately for us, they seem to not sleep very soundly when they are in their bed. They do better with us. They are rather restless during the day and seem exhausted in the evening. Last night we each slept with one. I had Elliott from midnight to 8am. Andrew had Aaron from I think 5am to 8am. I know that sleeping with them is not harmful to them but we want them to be able to sleep alone. I think I have said this before...we also sleep better when they are not with us. I believe that its natural to have a "family bed", having your babies sleep with you, but I think that I don't want them to get to used to that. It doesn't seem like the right thing for our family. On the other hand, the babies slept with me for 7 months when they were inside. It has to be strange for them to sleep alone. I guess they really aren't alone, they have each other. I don't know...I am torn. I want them to be healthy and happy and to be trusting and know that we are always there for them. I think that my last job has made me a little crazy about attachment theory. We had kids in group who did not form positive attachments with their parents. They had major problems because of that. I want to make sure that Elliott and Aaron are able to from positive attachments with the people that love them, are able to trust as well. These attachments form in infancy. I feel that if I screw anything up now they will be messed up for life!!! That's a lot of pressure!!! Having two makes things even more difficult. When they are both awake, one is sort of being neglected. It's super hard to give both of them my undivided attention...AGH

On a completely different topic, Andrew and I were feeding the boys this morning and watching Wonder Pets. Ming Ming and Tuck were saving a baby mouse. Lenny was sick and was not with them. Ming Ming called Lenny a "she". What!?!?! Lenny the Guinea Pig is a gir!?!?! This is breaking news!!! Maybe her name isn't Lenny. Andrew thought maybe they were saying Winnie or Linny...I don't know!!! My world has just been turned upside down!!! If anyone reading this is an avid Wonder Pets watcher, help me get to the bottom of this.

I think that I am going to pray that the babies stay asleep now so I can take a shower. I haven't had a shower since Sunday!!! GROSS!!! The boys also need a bath. They are getting stinky =( SInce they are over 5 pounds they get to use electrode belts for thier apnea monitors instead of the sticky things which I think means that we can start using lotion!!! YAY!!! Until next time....
Jen

2 comments:

The momma said...

you are sooooooooooo mean. Annie is old too :-P I looked up the Wonderpets thing...it is Linny (Andrew I thought it was Winnie for a LONG TIME, I think Joe and I have actually argued about it before) and she is a GIRL. I found a funny message board post about it as well. http://www.tv.com/wonder-pets!/show/61516/linny-=-boy-or-girl/topic/77271-624461/msgs.html

AND...I know you don't want them sleeping with you because you are afraid you'll end up like old, wise me. LOL

Jillian Frank said...

Jen,

It really is a personal decision whether or not to sleep with your babies. My personal opinion is that it's best for them. I figure it this way... I always feel safer, more comfortable, and happier when I'm in bed with Josh (I HATE when he goes away)... my guess is that Jude feels safer, more comfortable, and happier when he's in bed with us. You're right... he spent 40+ weeks sleeping under my heart in squishy warmness... For me, it doesn't seem logical to put him in a crib (especially in another room).

If you choose to put them in your bed, they don't have to stay there forever (while I'm okay with letting my son choose when he wants to move to his own bed and into his own room, others are not). Because your boys are only "0", I would keep them close, at least in the same room as you and/or Andrew. Your breathing will help regulate theirs... and with their monitors, that's a big thing.

And don't worry about rolling over on them! You don't fall out of bed every night, do you? NO! You subconsciously know where the edge of your bed it... you'll also subconsciously know where your babies are.

Your babies are going to be fine. Keep up the great work.