Friday, January 18, 2008

Just a Penny!

Well I am home from work today watching the babies, so Jen's running around starting laundry and then getting a relaxing shower, which is equivalent to a 3 week vacation in Fiji when you are caring for these kids 24 hours a day.

We are starting to get used to the cat naps and trying to have some sense of night and day, both for the babies and for us. Apparently we are supposed to interact with them less during the night feedings than the day feedings, so they start to know that night time is for sleeping and midnight milky snacks and not for play time. And as for us, we try to stay active during the day mostly out of habit, but probably also a little because it seems more normal. Doesn't hurt that we've had a few "sunshiney" days to appreciate, too.

Of course, I am also working 40 to 45 hours a week in my sales job with Verizon, which is supposed to be a high energy, fast-paced job and somehow that's still going pretty well, but I have learned to do it in a low energy, slow-paced way, with similar results. Jen still tries to get most of the feedings done on her own on the nights that i work early the next day, which I absolutely love her for.

But here's the best part! Since I have learned the importance of keeping that energy up, I have also learned the joy of a good cup of coffee. And today, on the way back from a 7:30am store meeting, I grabbed some hotcakes and sausage from Mcdonalds for Jen and I (babies don't eat hotcakes), but I forgot to buy myself a cup of coffee. Instead of doing another lap around the drive-up, I headed home in coffee-less shame.

But on the way, I remembered it was Friday! And you know what Friday is, don't you? (Probably not.) It's "Coffee for a Penny" Day! That's right, this little coffee shack around the corner from our house called Kade's has fresh gourmet coffee for a penny! I always thought it was a gimmick from the signs out front, like it was buy one for $4.25 and get one for a penny. But the need for a good steaming cup was too great. I couldn't turn back. So, I drove up Penny in hand, and I asked if it was really true. They said it was, and in a moment, I drove off with a hot, Tall-sized Tanzanian Peaberry flavored coffee with cream(one of two choices) and also a sense of accomplishment! I had purchased a cup of coffee for a penny! When's the last time anyone you know did that?

Hmm...most of the time I have a good moral to the story here. ... I'm thinking...Thinking. Nope, I'm just a overly-worked, sleepy Dad whose happy to get a good cup of coffee for a Penny. Okay? And Peaberry doesn't taste like Pea, in case anyone is wondering. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Asian approves of this post.