Saturday, November 22, 2008

first birthday party

Today was the boys first birthday party. I don't know if it was fun or not. It seemed like a lot of sitting and crying. The boys didn't take a good nap today so they were very tired and cranky. They did LOVE cake and frosting!!!

I think probably the best thing about today was all the people that celebrated with us. Leisa, Randy, and Heather S. came all the way from Elkhart!!! Tree and Sean from Chicago, Grandma Bock from Indy, Ann and Sheila from Iowa!!! How wonderful!!! All my sisters were here and even two "adopted" sisters Heather R. and Jamee. I was so happy to see Aunt Mary too!!! We said that gifts were not needed but they were brought anyway!!! The boys have lots of jammies and toys and wintery clothes!!! They weren't really interested in opening things but Aaron really liked getting into one box and eating paper and Elliott chewed on the ends of toddler silverware for a while. They were really nice to everyone...I think. Lots of people held them that they don't see very often. Everyone was so helpful too!!! Leisa and Heather S. put up the decorations for us...I feel like it was kind of rude for me to have them do that after they drove so far to get here but it looks awesome!!! I am not taking it down =) Julie cooked stuff and made things look pretty. Grandma Bock wrapped candy bars. Grandma Schwiderski made yummy bacon little smokies. Carrie and Heather R. got the boys dinner ready. Jenna "watched" the boys in the bathtub so they wouldn't drowned (don't freak!!! I was with them the entire time and so was Andrew giving them their bath but she was really proud to tell everyone she "watched the babies so they wouldn't drowned"). Julie also found some funny first birthday sailor hats and bought them each a dog that everyone signed. I feel like it was a success. I came very close to crying when we started singing happy birthday...I don't know what came over me!!! I guess I am just so proud of them and amazed by them. I have said it before...I KNOW that other babies are born like they were....even smaller and less healthy. I KNOW that almost 32 weekers aren't THAT early, but I had never seen a baby that small and that scary looking. I had no experience with the NICU. Not coming home with my babies sucked super bad. Seeing them and knowing that it would hurt them to touch them sucked. The guilt I felt for not being able to keep them in longer was unbarable at times, and look at them now!!! They are bigger than Jackson was at one and Cassidy was at one...not that there is anything wrong with Cassidy and Jackson...it's just amazing..they went from less than 3 pounds to 20 pounds in a year!!! They said that they would be behind and not to worry if they didn't meet their developmental milestones on time...ELLIOTT IS WALKING!!! He isn't one yet!!! Aaron is so smart...I can't wait to see what he will come up with. I don't think he will walk...he will just start running one day!!! Even if they weren't the smallest and most unhealthy babies in the NICU, the are two miracles, they are two blessings, the are amazing!!!

No comments: