Thursday, November 20, 2008

one year ago

These days I am feeling pretty nostalgic. One year ago yesterday is when I was admitted into the hospital. This blog is going to be about that day so if you don't want to read something super boring then don't read on!!! I just want to remember and have it written down...not sure if I have written it down before.

November 18th 2007 Andrew's mom and Dave came to Peoria so they could go to my appointment with the perinatologist on the 19th and get a preview of the twins on a sonogram. That night we ate at Flat Top and went to Gordmans. I didn't get much sleep that night. My feet and ankles were swollen and I was up peeing all night. I woke up super early...like 4 am..because I was so nervous about the sono. I was always nervous before appointment especially sonogram appointments. I had a sinking feeling something was wrong...I always did...nothing ever was. Andrew got up and got ready. Annie was going to make lasagna so I got some frozen hamburger out of the freezer for her. We were running late...as usual. We had to go the the hotel the Bocks were at and have them follow us to the hospital. I think we weren't actually running late but I was so nervous I just wanted to hurry. We got to the hotel and Patti and Dave were having breakfast. Andrew sat down to eat and I remember feeling crazy...wanting to leave. Then we were running late. We got in our car and Patti and Dave got in theirs. They were behind us but Andrew isn't a good person to follow. We lost them. At this point I wanted to cry and throw up..I am telling you I was so so so so nervous to see the babies...I didn't want anything to be wrong..especially when the boys grandparents were there. I didn't know how Andrew and I would handle fiding out something was wrong but I thought we should figure it out before telling others...anyway. I think that there were some cell phone calls. Andrew ended up going back to the parking deck and waiting for his mom and Dave. I was called back to the room. My nurse also lead our lamaze class..we had been to two classes. Our third was that night...there were six total...She took my blood pressure and it was high. She didn't tell me what it was but she told me it was high and she needed a urine sample. While I was peeing in a cup Andrew and his mom and Dave came in. I had told the nurse that it wasn't a suprise my blood pressure was high...I was crazy nervous and on top of the my in-laws were there and we had lost them on the way to the hospital. The dr. came in and started the sono. I don't remember much from it...just that both boys were head down and looked fine. Elliott was so far down the Dr. couldn't look at his head. He said that Aaron weighed 3 pounds and Elliott weighed 3 1/2 pounds. After the sono was over I guess my pee looked bad so they walked me to the anti-pardem section. They hooked my belly up to stuff and I had to sit there forever. It was weird. Patti and Dave needed to leave, Andrew needed to go to work and I was sitting there in a hospital gown feeling fine. They said I would be admitted and would probably only be there over night. I was put in a room finally...I wasn't having contractions. They took my blood pressure all the time. The nurses were great. That was when I met Pam Stevenson. She was awesome!!! They gave me an IV...but later took it out. I stayed there that night and Andrew stayed with me. He brought a bunch of fun stuff like Elf and my John Ralston CD. The babies really liked John Ralston. Patti sent me a candy gram...it was yummy and so so cute!!! I assured Patti and Dave that I woudn't be having the babies and they didn't need to even think about it while they were visiting Dave's daughter in Seattle. I laid on my left side as much as I could and slept as much as I could. That was a year ago yesterday. A year ago today I was thinking I would go home. It was a Tuesday. The nurses told me I would go home and then a Dr. would come in and tell me I wouldn't go home. Dr. Boyd came in...it was the first time I met him. He is the Dr. that works with my midwife Dana. He told me that he would be out of town for Thanksgiving and he didn't expect the babies to stay in through the weekend. He talked to me about being moved to OSF St. Francis. Then a nurse came in and said I would probably be home by Thanksgiving!!! It was so confusing. Andrew stayed with me again this night. He was the best.

1 comment:

TypeOneEric said...

I guess I got the date slightly wrong when sending the boys a Thanksgiving Day card. Sorry! :(