Sunday, November 23, 2008

St. Francis

One year ago today I woke up and felt fine. Andrew left the hospital to go to work. I didn't feel like I wanted to be alone. I didn't ask if I could take a shower like I usually did while staying in the hospital. This is only important because I didn't get a shower from Thanksgiving until the Tuesday (I think) after the boys were born....GROSS!!! Anyway, Jamee was going to stop by and did...I think. That might have been a different day but I am pretty sure it was this day. I called my mom when I was alone again and told her that I wanted her to come stay with me. I didn't know why I was so needy. She said she would be there soon...she was going to leave then so it took her an hour I guess. The rest is kind of a blur. I think they told me the 24 hour urine showed that my condition was getting worse. I used to remember the numbers but I don't anymore. They told me I was being transferred to St. Francis "now". I called Andrew in a panic. I told him what was going on and he came to the hospital. I million people were in and out of my room. I was given a bolus of magnesium sulfide. It made me super super hot and a little uneasy on my feet. After the bolus I was just getting it through my IV. Some ambulance people came and put me on a different bed and I was wheeled around the hospital...I remember being so very hot and disoriented. Nurse Pam came in the ambulance with me and Andrew and my mom followed. Mom got there just in time. This day was also the day that Pam came in to do the usual "do you see spots, does your stomach hurt, are you dizzy" thing...she took my blood like most mornings too. She somehow got blood all over my body pillow. She took the cover and washed it at the hospital. It wasn't dry when I had to leave but was mostly dry. I don't know why I remember that so well. Anyway, I was wheeled around the hospital. It was a cold day and I remember how awesome it felt when a little cold air got on me when they were putting me in the ambulance. I also remember that I didn't know why they had put blankets on me when I was so hot and also I felt super bad for the people that had to lift my 200+ pound body into the ambulance. Yes..that is right...over 200 pounds and my babies didn't even weigh 6!!! I was driven across the street to St. Francis. Once of the ambulance people was asking me all these questions that I couldn't answer but I think they were easy like what is your insurance or something. Pam stuck up for me and told the lady to back off a bit. She liked me I think...Pam came into St. Francis with me and stayed in the room for a few minutes I think. I think she came back later that day to bring me a ring I had left in my room. I will never forget Pam. All the rest of this day is all mixed in with the rest of the days. I know that I wasn't allowed to eat because nobody knew if I would be taken in for a C-section that day or not. I don't know what time I was able to eat but it was after supper time. I ordered baked chicken and almost died when it came and it was on the bone!!! I ate it anyway because I was so hungry and found out the chicken on the bone is super good!!! I don't know who was there and what happened. I know that at some point Jamee brought over a bunch of baby stuff and a humidifier. I wonder who paid for that humidfier...hmmm...I think I had another 24 hour urine test...no..thats not it at all...They brought my pee over from Methodist...the 24 hour urine was not finished. I think that it was my blood that forced the transfer to St. Francis. I was sad to leave Methodist. I loved all the nurses and the food people. It was comfortable and friendly and one of the residents reminded me of Tree. I was put into a labor and delivery room at St. Francis...they didn't even try to anti-partem me. I think I must have been much sicker than I felt. After the magenisum I felt terrible...it was like I was in pudding. I was allowed to go to the bathroom by my self at this point but sometime I couldn't....or maybe I always could...things will be pretty foggy from here on in my memory I think. Until tomorrow.....
Jen

No comments: