Saturday, December 1, 2007

crappy night

Last night proved to be pretty tough for me. I missed the babies being in my belly and then became super sad because I couldn't see them or hold them. Andrew was super and helped us both relax and get through the night. We called the NICU and talked to both Elliott's and Aaron's nurses. Both boys were doing great. That made me feel a little better but I still was wanting to be with them. I was able to fall asleep, so happy that I was finally able to sleep next to my husband and not in a hospital bed.

Elliott was moved to room 2 today. I went to where he used to be to see him and was a little freaked out when he wasn't there!!! It's good that he was moved. His nurse told me that he is first on the list to move the room 3 or 4. Aaron is in room 3. Elliott was wearing clothes tonight and was so cute with his eyes open. Also, he is no longer under the blue lights for jaundice! He is digesting well and breathing great too. I just can't wait until he is in the same room as his brother and hopefully at some point the same crib. I think they miss each other. Elliott's nurse said that he has a temper = )

Aaron was supposed to get a pic line today but the NICU is so full they were unable to locate a warming bed so he will have to get it another day. The pic line will allow Aaron to be comfortable on his belly because it will replaced the line through his umbilical cord. I know that Elliott was happy to get on his tummy. Aaron is doing very well too. He was soooo cute tonight sleeping on his side. His nurse told me that it was time to take his temperature and change his diaper and that I could do that if I wanted.....I told her that I just couldn't wake him up. After a few minutes I went ahead and did the diaper change and took his temperature. He didn't like it very much but calmed down quickly. He opened his eyes and was looking all over the place. So curious...so sweet. He has been having problems digesting. Several of his primings were held today. Primings are feedings with breast milk (if I have supplied enough) or formula. Both boys are being primed now. It's a less amount then a regular feeding in order to prime their tummies for real feedings. Since the boys came early, their digestive tracks are not quite ready. Problems with digestion are normal for preemies. Anyway...Aaron hasn't been digesting his food so primings are held so he doesn't get sick. He receives nourishment another way. They will keep trying to feed him, making sure before each priming that he has digested. Aaron is also no longer under the blue lights for jaundice. I don't remember if I mentioned that his feeding tube is now through is nose instead of his mouth. The tubes bother the babies in their mouths because they feel it. It seems to bother Elliott more than Aaron, Elliott gags on his!!! Aaron looked great tonight and I feel confident that he will be able to digest very soon. I can't believe how much I love my little guys!!!

Andrew's mom and sister came back to visit. It's pretty awesome to have so many people that love us and our boys. Sometimes it's hard to pretend that everything is okay when it isn't but I am sure that things will get better. The boys are doing great and now all we need to do it remember that we have lives and that not everything can be about the babies. Andrew and I need to stay away from the hospital at times to keep our sanity and lean on each other for support.

Thanks for reading!!!
Jen

No comments: