Friday, December 28, 2007

No eye worries

The boys had their fist eye appointment today. The doctor was so fun and the staff was also awesome. They told me everything that they were going to do several times to make sure I understood and told me that they like for the parent to hold the baby but if I couldn't handle it then I didn't have to do it. I did hold both babies. Elliott was first. They take this thing that makes the eye stay open. First they dilated their eyes and put some stuff in to numb them so they couldn't feel it. It would hurt very bad. The doctor said if they didn't numb them that the babies would jump up and crawl away because it hurts to bad. Then he put the eye opener thingy in. Since the babies don't do what you tell them like "look to the left", the doctor used a tiny Q tip to move their eyes around. It was pretty gross but I looked at their faces the entire time and talked to them. They cried about the light being in their eyes I think because once the light was taken away and the eye opener thing taken off they stopped crying. The car ride was good too. Aaron was a little fussy but didn't scream like he did the other two times he had to ride in the car bed. Elliott fell asleep. Both babies monitors did beep while we were at the doctor. Elliott didn't beep until his brother was being examined. Aaron beeped after he was done. Not a big deal though.

Elliott hasn't pooped in three days...unless he poops tonight. I called the doctor to see what they wanted me to do and I was told to give him sugar water. That is way more fun than a suppository!!! I also let the doctor know that he was very gassy. She said to give him Milecon drops to make him more comfortable. I was going to have Andrew get it on his way home from work but Elliott was so uncomfortable he didn't sleep for like an hour. He was even slightly unhappy when being held. I went to Walgreens and found Little Tummies. He seems to be sleeping much better now. He also loved the sugar water. I just don't know when to give it to him. She told me to give him an ounce 3 times a day, but an ounce is kind of a lot when they don't even eat two ounces at each feeding. If I give it to him before he won't be hungry and he won't take it after. I gave it to him an hour before he ate, and he had a difficult time finishing his bottle. I am sure I'll figure it out. Later tonight Elliott beeped 10-12 times. His heart rate was down and he had stopped breathing. I was washing bottles. Andrew said that he shook him a little (not like baby shaken syndrome shook him!!!). He stopped beeping at about the same time Andrew shook him so it's hard to tell if he did it himself. I kind of freaked out and cried and am still pretty upset. I kind of want to take them both back to the NICU and keep them there until they are like 3 months old. This worry is making me crazy. I am trying so hard to not worry and give it to God, but they are my children!!! My only children. Oh my....I hear one of the babies really crying...I think I need to go change diapers and feed them!!! Please pray for my little guys...
Jen
PS...I didn't forget about Aaron. He is doing well. I think he has more of a reflux problem and has issues sleeping because he is laying too flat...even though we have them propped up. He is so cute and gaining weight I am sure...he has a double chin!!! Hopefully he will be out of the car bed and into his carseat in the next week or two = )

2 comments:

Jillian Frank said...

Jen,

For the gassiness and also for the not pooping, you should find a chiropractor to take the boys to. Check this site: http://www.icpa4kids.com/locator/index.php
Just plug in your zip code and it will tell you where to closest ICPA (International Chiropractic Pediatric Association) chiropractor is. Jude has been seeing a chiro since he was 2 days old. ICPA docs specialize in pregnant woman and infants/children. It may sound crazy, but trust me... and try it.

Also... I know you're pumping for the little guys, and once you can get more breastmilk into the them, they won't get constipated so easily. Breastmilk has a natural laxative in it. Have you looked into an Supplemental Nursing System? It's a very thin tube that connected to a bottle of sorts. You tape the tube right next to your nipple and fill the bottle with either your pumped milk or artificial baby milk. That way, even when you're feeding the boys formula, they're still stimulating your supply because they're actively suckling at your breast. It might help stimulate your supply a bit more.

HTH... give me a call if you want to chat.

Heather_Short said...

Hey Jen and Andrew! I just wanted to say that checking out a chiropractor is a good idea. I go to one and I've learned a lot about what chiropractic care can do. Mine has told me a lot about how it can help pregnant women and then their children once born. I can't speak from personal experience w/ a baby but receiving chiropractic care for me has been amazing w/ the things its helped.