Thursday, December 6, 2007

no more IV nutrition!!!

This is probably going to be short because I am sooo very tired. I got to the hospital at 9am and checked in on the boys before they got to meet great aunt Jean and great aunt Sandy. When I checked in on them, Aaron was sleeping and Elliott was holding on tight to a syringe. Andrew says Elliott needs a teddy bear to cuddle with =) I was able to diaper, take temp, and nipple feed Elliott at 2:30. His temp was 98.6 and he peed when I changed him...only this time I was smarter!!! He peed only in his diaper. Also, when I was changing him, he lost his umbilical cord stub. I kept it...it's kind of gross and really tiny!!! I learned right after he was fed that there was an order to discharge his IV nutrition. He is taking enough milk that he doesn't need the extra calories on the IV nutrition. When Andrew came to the hospital to pick me up, Elliott was wide awake and so cute. He is always awake at night...I guess that might suck for us later...It's also kind of funny that if Elliott is placed in his bed looking in a direction he doesn't like, the little stinker figures out how to turn his tiny head.

Aaron was so sleepy today and a little cranky. I was able to nipple feed him (meaning that he fed from a bottle) at 5:30. I had a difficult time getting him take any of it so his nurse showed me some stuff to try. She was able to get him to take close to the whole bottle (15 CC's). Then he threw all of it up. It was pretty sad to see since he worked so hard to suck, swallow, and breathe...also that I worked so hard to make that milk for him!!! I am thinking that maybe he needs to poop. Aaron was also taken off his IV nutrition. He is gaining weight and is now sooo close to 3 pounds. Elliott is still weighs more then Aaron but Aaron seems to be working hard to be big like is brother. I was able to hold Aaron for a long time as he finished eating from the tube. He started to get fussy so I sang to him and he stopped.

1 comment:

The momma said...

yeah for singing!!!! Jen you are a natural. I don't even sing to mine. You are the best mommy in the world.