Monday, December 10, 2007

Magic Blog!

Andrew here. So....Jen is convinced that this is a magic blog. If you have been reading, you'll note that some of the days have been a little hard lately. The boys were spitting up a good amount of their feedings and Aaron was crying alot. And Jen felt pretty helpless, especially with keeping them clean and away from "pukey" bedding.

Well, after freaking out about it in general, she took the morning and afternoon off, away from the hospital. And then, when we went in tonight, they had nothing but good news for us. Their feedings went well this afternoon.

And I was just in time to do Aaron's feeding. He was crying when I got there, and I was surpised to be able to calm him down within seconds by just showing him some attention. Then, with the feeding, he took over half of what I was given to feed him. And the rest of it went down easily through the help of his feeding tube. I have to admit, I was more proud of myself that he took the bottle from me, than of him for keeping it down, because last time I wasn't as successful. Afterward, I just held him for what seemed like 5 minutes, but was probably closer to 35, because it flew by, just feeling needed by one of our little guys.

So back to the magic blog.... Both boys took all their feedings without spitting up much and Jen noticed that they looked clean and happy to not be laying their faces in any puke. So she feels like yesterday's stressfulness that was described in the blog, made things magically fix themselves today.

But I think we both know, that it's less "magic" and more of God just showing us that He takes all of our cares away. Whenever we feel like it's more than we can handle, one little pressure point melts away, and we realize that "He will never give us more than we can bear." (can't find the exact verse right now, but I know that's in the Bible.) Thanks for your continued prayers!

Jen here...just wanted to make a little note that Elliott's PICC line was removed this morning so now both boys just have the stickers on them so their heart rates and respirations can be monitored. Just to understand the feedings a little more...they have to take at least half of their feeding with a bottle for two days before they add another bottle feeding. Right now both boys have two bottle (the NICU nurses say "nipple feedings") a day. Before they can leave the hospital they have to be able to take all their feedings from a bottle (or me if the doctor says it's ok). They also have to continue to gain weight, keep their temperature in an open crib, and sit in their car seats for an hour without needing help from a nurse to breath or keep their hearts beating. There is still a lot to do but considering they are having to do this stuff 2 months before they were supposed to I think they are doing very well!!! WOO HOO=)

5 comments:

Heather_Short said...

yea! the little guys are doing better! that's so amazing to hear. how many bottle feedings do they have to have a day? you mentioned they have to be able to do them all before coming home but how many is that? maybe i've missed that answer somewhere. :-)

Josh Frank said...

Jen and Andrew - I'm watching, reading and praying through this journey with you. I can tell you my eyes fill with tears - sometimes in joy, sometimes in sadness for you and the boys - nearly everytime I read a new post.

I can't wait to see more pictures. And Jillian, Jude and I will be in Illinois for around a week (maybe a bit more) in mid-April. We DEFINITELY will need to get together.

Love and peace,
Josh

Jillian Frank said...

now its my turn to comment...

jen, i am so amazed by you... especially by your determination for your babies to get the best care. i'm so happy that their bedding is being kept clean, and i'm so excited by your willingness to pump for your babies, i have to say... you're story humbles me. i got got off very easy.jude was full term and breastfeeding came very easily to us. you're boys have had a rough start, and you've stepped up to ensure that they get the absolute best. you are amazing.

soon the day will come when you'll be able to ditch the bottles and feed those boys right from the tap. (= after all the hard work you've had to do to pump, breastfeeding will feel like a breeze,

andrew, you're amazing too. you're doing a great job soothing those little boys and a great job supporting your wife. your story leaves me speechless.

(well, almost speechless *smile*)

Jillian Frank said...

ps...

excuse the many,many typos. i'm nursing at keyboard (nak)

The momma said...

My nephews are BRILLIANT....BRILLIANT I say. My sister is pretty darn cool too. OK fine Andrew rocks the house too.