Sunday, December 2, 2007

Elliott and Aaron are 1 week old!!!

We just got back from visiting our sweet little guys. Both are doing great. Aaron took more from the bottle today and now he doesn't have his pulse-ox monitor anymore...just like his big brother. Elliott was sleeping soundly and was reported to have had a good day. I am thinking that means he wasn't feisty like he was in rooms 1 and 2. He wasn't fed with a bottle today yet...but they told us that they will do it once a day. They try to wait until the babies are really awake since it takes a lot out of them. Aaron is finally gaining some weight. He weighs 1215 grams and Elliott weighs 1250 grams. They both looked great and seem to be getting used to our touch. I finally remembered to ask about kangaroo care and we were told that we can do that any time but not close to feeding times. Kangaroo care is when you hold the baby skin to skin. It's great for preemies.

I can't believe how much I love these little guys. They are just so awesome!!! As Andrew and I look for a house to raise our boys in, I find myself looking at the neighborhood more than the price. I just want them to have the best of everything. I am a little worried that I am going to be over protective at first but you kind of have to be with preemies...especially in the winter. We have been told that it is not safe to take our boys out after they come home from the hospital. Newborns are very susceptible to illnesses like RSV. Preemies are even more at risk. They can wind up back in the hospital with RSV and that is just not something I am willing risk for a trip to Walmart or even a family gathering. We have also been told that we need to be really cautious about keeping our hands clean and making sure that people that come to visit the boys use Purell or wash their hands often. There are things we don't even think about like how dirty purse straps are or winter coats. It sounds crazy but really....is letting someone hold our babies with their coat on or with unwashed hands worth another stay in the hospital for them? We are just going to have to be extra careful for a while so I hope everyone can be understanding.

Well...I guess I am done. Thanks for reading and praying for our boys.

Jen

1 comment:

The momma said...

:-) you know why I am smiling right?